New Shoaler Information
For a primer on what to expect when arriving on Star Island
Current as of: January 2nd, 2019
THIS PAGE WILL BE UPDATED!
There is a lot to take in when arriving at the Dock - it can seem chaotic for a "New Shoaler". Here is some information to help be prepared.
These instructions are due to change - we are waiting for info from the boating company.
Plan to arrive a the Star Island Dock in Portsmouth, NH at least one hour prior to departure of the conference boats for Star Island.
When you arrive at the Star Island dock in Portsmouth, unload your luggage quickly and move your car to the parking lot so others will have space to unload. Give your name to the parking attendant and obtain a parking ticket. The cost of parking will be added to your hotel bill, ($10 per day or partial day = $80 for the conference). The round trip boat fare of $41 per adult, $28 for children 2 - 12 (no charge for children under 2) will be added to your hotel bill.
Bring a jacket or sweater for the boat ride to Star Island, no matter how hot it is ion the mainland. It will be cooler on the water!
If you are staying for both LOAS I and LOAS II, be sure to tell the parking attendant. You will be directed to a parking area where your car will not block in departing LOAS I conferees.
Next, check in with the staff on the dock to obtain boat passes and luggage tags. Make sure all checked luggage is tagged with your room number, so the Pelican staff can deliver it to your room. The cost of the boat tickets will be charged to your room.
- Locate the table (or what passes for a table) with the name tags and get yours. You can ask the volunteers if your new shoaler contact has arrived yet. If not, feel free to mingle or wait. don't despair or feel ignored -- you will be included in the hug-fest in no-time. Also, there is always some small special mark on your name-tag indicating that you are new to Star Island, and most returning conferees actively seek out "New Shoalers" and try to make them feel at home.
For a listing of overnight accommodations in the Portsmouth area, contact the Greater Portsmouth Chamber of Commerce, PO Box 239, Portsmouth, NH 03820 603-436-3988
- From the South:
I-95 North to NH Exit 7. RIGHT at lights.
- From the North:
I-95 South to NH Exit 7. LEFT at lights.
- From the West:
(Routes 4 and 16) pick up I-95 North at the Portsmouth Traffic circle to NH Exit 7. From Route 33 (old 101) take Interstate-95 North to Exit 7.
From Exit 7, turn towards downtown Portsmouth (EAST). The entrance is approximately 3/4 mile on the left, across from the Portsmouth Sheraton and next to the salt piles.
Both of the following companies provide transport to and from Portsmouth and the airports in Boston, MA and Manchester, NH. Both require advanced reservations, and both drop off at the Sheraton Hotel, Portsmouth, or at other locations by request.
- Flight Line Airport Express, (800) 245-2525, www.flightlineinc.com
- Seacoast Airport Service, (866) 431-1580, www.transportnh.com
- C&J Bus Service: (800) 258-7111, www.ridecj.com, located at 185 Grafton Road in Portsmouth
- Greyhound Bus Lines: (800) 231-2222, www.greyhound.com, “terminal” in downtown Portsmouth, a short walk from the dock
- Blue Star Taxi, (603) 436-2774
- Anchor Taxi, (603) 436-1888