Lee Reid Scholarship Fund
In 1993 a scholarship fund was established for conferees needing financial assistance to attend LOAS conferences. In October 1997, the program was named the Lee Reid Scholarship Fund in honor of Rev. Lee Reid, a beloved LOAS conferee who passed away that year. Each year the LOAS conferences hold auctions on island to raise money for the scholarship fund. Conferees can also make direct donations to the fund.
The Scholarship Committee consists of three individuals serving 3-year terms. Each year one member rotates off and a new person is elected to serve on the scholarship committee. For 2020, the Scholarship Committee consists of Tanya Van Order, Sue Penny and Cori Hoffman. The committee has a budget of approximately $15,000 to assist applicants from both LOAS conferences. The committee strives to distribute the available funds as equitably as possible taking into consideration the whole group of applicants as well as individual needs.
How to Apply
1. The Lee Reid Scholarship and the Star Island Conference (SIC) Scholarship applications have been merged to maximize efficiency and resources. The scholarship application can be found here.
2. Scholarships provide partial payment toward the cost of attending the conference. The maximum scholarship is in the range of 50-60% of total costs. The average Lee Reid scholarship award for the 2019 season was 50% of total cost for room & board & conference fees.
3. Prospective scholarship applicants must register and pay the conference fees and room & board deposit BEFORE applying for a scholarship.
4. If financial constraints make registration impossible for you, please contact the Island Registrar, Mike Bray.
5. Scholarship awards will appear as a credit on your hotel bill when you check out.
6. Scholarships are based on double room rate. If you require a single room or motel unit, your bill will reflect the actual charges for the room you occupy.
7. When completing your application, please include only persons whose bill you will be paying.
8. The Scholarship Committee will review all applications in the spring in order to provide award notification by the end of June.
9. Applications submitted after June 30th will be considered on a case-by-case basis depending on available funds. Applicants will receive a response within 2 weeks.
Questions? Need more information? Contact Sue Penny (516-707-2098) (Lee Reid Scholarship Chair)